Just imagine a thoughtless and demanding husband that is married to a wife who caters to his every need. Imagine him sitting relaxed in his little command center, his Lazy-Boy, while he bellows out orders.
- “Hey Pearl, bring me a Diet Coke.”
- “Get me the newspaper.”
- “Did you call Bob like I asked you?”
- “Get the phone will you, I’m busy.”
- “How much longer do I have to wait for supper?”
- “Since you’re up, get my slippers.”
Just imagine a man that constantly makes demands like that on his wife. If she complied willingly and without comment, he’s a most fortunate man.
- Just imagine what she might feel like if he never thanked her for serving him.
- Imagine too what she would think of him if all he ever did was make more demands and never took time to talk to her or say sweet words of affection to her.
- Imagine what future the relationship would have if the man said, I don’t really have time to talk to you, I just need you to do what I asked you to do.
Some wives might be content to be in a relationship like that, but I have never met them yet. A loving relationship is not a one-way street.
Then There Is The Flip Side Of That Problem.
Imagine a demanding wife that is married to husband who she expects to cater to her every need.
- Her Honey-Do-List never ends.
- Her requests are only for her benefit.
- She nags him if she doesn’t get what she wants, when she wants it.
- She feels like he doesn’t love her unless he is always giving to her and doing things for her.
- His needs are not even on her radar screen.
- She has no time to just talk to him.
- He can’t remember when she last said, “I love you.”
- Her world is only focused on her own happiness.
What A Mess! I Can’t Imagine Living Like That!
I don’t know who would ever want to enter into any kind of relationship such as this. How could their life’s story have a happy ending? What future do they have? It’s a world without love!
Yet That Is Exactly The Spiritual Relationship Many Of Us Have With The Lord.
- The only time we talk to Him is to make more demands.
- Our prayers are only to ask for more.
- We ask for healing.
- We ask for finances.
- We ask for housing, transportation and employment.
- We ask for blessings for ourselves.
- And yes… We are invited to ask. But…
- We never just take the time to say, “Thank You Jesus.”
- We are too busy to just stop and ‘chit-chat’ with Him.
- We find ourselves so busy asking for more favors that we almost never stop to say, “Have I told You today Jesus, that I love You?”
What’s The Chances Of Our ‘Relationship’ With God Lasting Very Long?
- Actually, I am afraid it sounds one-sided.
- It doesn’t sound like much of a relationship.
- If it were a marriage, it might soon go on the rocks.
So, Where Is Our Walk With God Headed?
Just Imagine a husband been separated from his wife and writing over five dozen letters to her. Imagine the wife taking the unopened letters from the mailman and stacking them on the coffee table for all to see. Just imagine her never reading the letters from her husband. Imagine her thinking, “How precious of him to write, but reading his letters is boring to me.”
Imagine the two of them talking on the phone from time to time and him realizing by the things she says and doesn’t say, that she has not been reading any of his letters. Now what?
Absurd as it may sound, it happens everywhere, everyday. We have letters and epistles written to us. Although cherished by us all, The Holy Bible remains unread, and untouched. It is placed on the coffee table for others to see. But many of us will die, never reading what He wrote just to us. Now what?
Just imagine what our life would be like if we told the Lord several times a day that we loved Him, and not just asked for something every time we prayed.
Just imagine what our life would be like if we read the letters He wrote to us and got to know Him better.
Just imagine knowing Him in His fullness.