Archive for the ‘Believe’ Category
What Would It Take To Encourage You Today?
- A word spoken in faith?
- A pat on the back?
- A smile?
- A money gift?
- A present?
- A word of affirmation?
- A friend’s visit?
- A helping hand?
What makes you tick? What puts a smile back on your face that makes your eyes smile too? What would it take to make your heart feel uplifted?
If you are one of those people who has everything and is still not happy, I don’t think I can offer any help here.
I’m just asking those who have had some bad days lately, or maybe some bumps in your road. Maybe there has been a major disaster in your home, your health or your finances. What would it take to encourage you today?
I really wish I could offer everyone encouraging words that I have thought up on my own, but I cannot. The good news however, is that God’s Word always offers encouragement.
The Bible mentions that David even encouraged himself in the Lord. In your case, that might be easier said than done. My refuge and help most often comes from God’s Word.
I am one of those simple guys that from my youth visited the little box on our mantle that had God’s promises printed on little cards. I would draw one out and read it, claiming it as mine for the day. Did you ever do that?
Here, let me draw some out for you and I’ll look to see if I can see a smile of hope on your face again.
Isa. 40:29-31 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Psa. 46:1-3 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
Psa. 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
Psa. 31:24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.
Rom. 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Phil. 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
2 Cor. 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Psa. 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.
Psa. 37:23,24 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
Psa. 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
Psa. 9:9,10 The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
2 Cor. 4:8,9 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
Prov. 18:24 …and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
Deut. 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
Prov. 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Prov. 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
1 Pet. 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Ex. 15:26 …for I am the LORD that healeth thee.
Heb. 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Thank God For His Promises!
Oh, And There All Yours Too, You Can Have Them All!
Preach Me The Gospel
Rom. 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Ours is a day of dilution of sacred truths. The importance of our basic tenets of faith is being challenged. Compromise is seen in every too many areas. Some sermons are not much more than an exercise in Pop-Psychology. Word preaching is non-existent in too many places. Doctrine is scorned by some and called ‘old school.’
It may be ‘old school’ to the compromiser, but doctrinal preachers, believers and practitioners are still here and doing well.
- They are still living ‘the life.’
- They haven’t caved in to compromise and worldliness.
- They were blessed to have heard some old-time Doctrinal messages on the New Birth. They got it in their heart.
- They heard teaching and preaching about Holiness, Separation from the World, Church Government, and Standards. They loved it.
- They were taught why the New Birth was important.
- They were taught why separation from the world was important.
- They were taught why it is important to live holy.
- They were taught why they should worship.
- They were taught why they should be faithful.
- They were taught why they should honor God with their tithes.
- They were taught why they should honor God with their modest apparel.
- They said Amen to the preacher.
- They believed it.
- They received it.
- They got in the Word and the Word got in them.
Some churches, organizations and fellowships have neglected the Word and turned to gimmicks and programs to distract from the obvious void and lack of a move of God.
The lack of Word preaching is evident by what is seen in the lives of many at conferences, camps and rallies. If preachers ‘get what they preach,’ someone must not be preaching very much.
There will always be a constant need to preach on worship. Please do not stop. I fear however, that our heavy emphasis on worship demonstration promotes the belief that our best services are always runaways.
Thank God for a runaway. But to me there is no measure of the lasting blessings the Word has on our lives. A shout can be forgotten. But the engrafted Word can be hidden in the heart until we die.
It is easy for some to jump up and down and run the aisle. Yet these same folks seem lost and uncomfortable in a deep move of God. Why?
Every pastor has seen folks shout in church, and then heard of them sinning before the night was over. They had the ‘physical exercise’ part down. They just didn’t get much on the inside. No root.
Luke 8:13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
Some pastors only want to teach doctrine (or anything that isn’t evangelistic) in ‘closed door settings’. They must be afraid to stand up and preach it to their whole congregation. The shallowness of church membership today is alarming.
Psa. 119:161 …but my heart standeth in awe of thy word.
Psa. 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
In the Gospel of Luke, Jesus tells a story of two houses. One house was built on the rock. The other was built on the sand. All was well until the storm came. Only the house on the rock remained standing.
Without a solid foundation, we too will fall apart when the storms of worldliness come against the church.
2Chr. 15:3 Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law.
God give us a season of the teaching priest. Give us a season of loving thy law.
Paul’s Gospel was the New Birth. The Death, Burial and the Resurrection.
Thank God for preachers who just stand up and preach the Word. Thank God for saints who want to hear preaching. Singing doesn’t save us, preaching does.
The Apostle Paul didn’t say to Timothy, “Discern someone’s phone number, their name or medical condition.” He just said to preach the Word.
Carloads will drive miles to hear a preacher call out folks and pray over them. (I can tell you ahead of time what he will say. He will prophesy blessings, healing and prosperity over those he prays for. He will never discern the sinfulness they are living in.)
The same folks that go gaga over that type of ministry get easily bored listening to a ‘Word’ preacher. Some wouldn’t drive across town to hear him.
Take some advice from an old man. If you are a preacher and have a choice between being a feeder or an exhorter, be a feeder. Because a feeder will build a church.
2Tim. 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
Don’t stop the worship, but at the same time, preach the Word. Keep preaching about Worship, but let Doctrine showcase your ministry.
Preacher, there are still plenty of saints out there that bring their Bibles to church.
There are still plenty of saints that bring a notebook and pen to Church just waiting.
There are still plenty of saints that will readily say, “Preach Me The Gospel.”
15 Things To Do In Church Before You Die
- Pray till you get the absolute Victory.
- Intercede for a lost or wayward soul.
- Let God use you in the Spirit of Travail
- Pray till the Fire falls.
- Pray someone through to the Holy Ghost.
- Pray before church.
- Pray around the altar after church
- Don’t make the Song Leader beg you to sing.
- Don’t let the Praise Singers do your singing.
- Sing till you cry.
- Sing till you shout.
- Dance in the Spirit
- Leap for Joy
- Lead. Be the first one to shout.
- Run the aisles
4. Believe God
- Believe God for a Healing.
- Trust Him to supply your needs.
- Believe Him for a Miracle and see it come to pass.
5. Get ‘Lost in the Spirit’
- Be taken home drunk in the Holy Ghost
- Teach a Home Bible Study
- Win a soul
7. Say Amen
- Say Amen from your heart. Be willing to Obey.
- Stand to you feet and say Amen
- Say Amen from even if you’re the only one.
- Say Amen even when the Scripture or the Preaching touches a sore spot.
- Give your last Dollar, if God impresses you to.
- Become faithful in your tithe and offerings
- Give without expecting anything in return.
- Read the Bible through.
- Have a daily Scripture reading.
- Get a Revelation of One God.
- Don’t give some narrative about “he said, and I thought to myself.”
- Just brag on Jesus!
- Fast to crucify your flesh.
12. Love Your Brother and Sister
- Prefer them. Put them first
- Let all jealousy die
13. Refuse To Listen to a Rumor
- Tell the talebearer, “I really don’t want to hear this.”
- Refuse to pass a rumor on.
- Put all your yesterdays behind you.
- Empty yourself of all Bitterness.
- Be merciful.
15. Get the Pastor’s Heartbeat.
- Try to feel what he feels.
- Work with him for Revival.
- Feel the Spirit of Unity
Now, Let’s Have Some ‘Church’ Around Here!
Is God Ugly?
I don’t mean for this question to sound like it borders on blasphemy. It is important for me not to be flippant or sacrilegious about things that are Divine. With that being said, I will ask the question one more time. Is God ugly?
The Prophet Isaiah makes an amazing prophecy about the coming of the Messiah. He describes him and portrays him in a very uncomplimentary manner.
Is. 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
Is. 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
When man makes a grand entry, he normally tries to ‘put his best foot forward’. Why then did Jehovah choose to wrap Himself up in human flesh that apparently wasn’t the best He could make?
The mind of man would think, ‘Why He could have gotten more followers if He’s had some ‘great’ looks. People will follow someone that’s easy to look at. That was not how God planned to present Himself.
When God came to earth in the flesh, there was nothing beautiful about Him. I want to talk about that very thing. Look first at the Old Testament.
1. Noah’s Ark – The wood was covered with pitch. It looked ugly on the outside. No one in Noah’s generation outside of his own family was able to get past the ‘Ugly’. They all perished.
2. The Tabernacle In The Wilderness – The outside of the Tabernacle was covered with dyed badger skins. To those that had been there, they KNEW the real beauty was on the INSIDE. It was on the INSIDE that the golden vessels were displayed. It was on the INSIDE that the beautiful Veil hung concealing the Holiest of Holies. INSIDE there was the Shekinah, the Glory of the Lord.
Once the Israelites got past the Ugly, they found the real beauty.
1Pet. 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pet. 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pet. 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
To those that take the time to Know Him and Believe, He is Precious.
- If Living for God is Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If Worship is Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If Giving God the Tenth of your income is Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If Holiness is Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If the preaching of Doctrine is Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If Long Hair on Women and Short Hair on Men are Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If Standards are Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If Separating yourself from the World is Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If the Prayer Room is Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
- If Winning Souls is Ugly to you, you just don’t know Him very well.
And the list goes on…
When living for God is longer attractive to you, you don’t really know Him very well. It tells me that you don’t really Believe. It tells me you are Disobedient. (1 Pet 2:7)
Can you get past the Ugly? If you can, He will become Precious to you!