Archive for the ‘Old-Time Pentecost’ Category
Why We Fight!
The US Military showed films in Basic Training during World War II to explain to all the new recruits the purpose of defending America to keep it free and what would happen to us if we didn’t fight. The old 16mm film was also called “Why We Fight.” The church is at war with the enemy of our soul. There are attacks on every side. Here are some of the reasons why the church must fight sin, worldliness and our own flesh.
You Are A Committee Of One.
Webster’s Definition: Committee Of One
- An individual person designated to function alone as a committee.
Society teaches us that we are a committee of one and that each one of us must do the right thing.
The US Army
The Army recently scrapped its memorable advertising slogan, ”Be all you can be,” and replaced it with one intended to appeal to the individualism and independence of today’s youth: ”An Army of one.”
For many years public service announcements on the radio have showcased Smokey Bear saying, “Only You can prevent forest fires.” The meaning is clear. Everyone venturing into the forest is expected to handle fire responsibly.
Some things in life depend on just us. We are the bottom line. There is no one else to blame. We then must strive to be responsible.
“The Buck Stops Here”
Last year during a visit to President Harry Truman’s Library, I took note of his signature desktop motto. “The Buck Stops Here.” Seeing that one plaque was one of the more memorial highlights of the tour. The President made it plain, he wasn’t passing the buck, but will to stand up and face the challenge.
We Have Biblical Examples
- Ester Was A Committee Of One When She Went Before The King.
- Elijah On Mt. Carmel Was A Committee Of One.
- David Was A Committee Of One Fighting Goliath’s.
Staying In Church And Being Saved Is Up To You!
Acts 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
“Save Thyself,” Is Still The Message!!
- Each one must want to be saved enough to make the effort.
- The fact is most preachers want to see some folks saved more than they do.
- If you are no longer saved today, you have no one to blame but yourself.
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Staying Saved.
Protecting Yourself From False Doctrine is Up To You.
1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
Paul’s advice warned Timothy to:
- Watch yourself
- Be careful
- Pay attention to your personal life
- Pay attention to your doctrine
- Your life depends on it
- Others are looking at you to follow your steps
- It’s up to you Timothy.
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Spiritual Carefulness.
Holding On To This Apostolic Message, Is Your Responsibility.
The Apostles spoke to the church warning them to protect themselves from false doctrine.
Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
2 Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
2 Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- Be careful what holiness and doctrinal arguments you listen to.
- Smooth talkers will lead you astray from truth if you let them beguile you.
- Some try to reason the Acts 2:38 truth and holiness standards away.
- You cannot let them lead you into delusion.
- False doctrine is just an “amen” away.
- If you don’t know the truth, your soul is on the line.
- You are an army of one in protecting your soul.
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Resisting Error.
Being Ready For The Coming Of the Lord Is Up To You.
Matt. 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
- The ‘watch ye’ is understood. It’s your job to watch.
- Watch, Jesus is coming.
- Watch, you have to get yourself ready, and be ready.
- Watch, it’s up to you.
- ‘Preppers’ prepare for potential national and end time disaster.
- They believe survival is up to them individually.
- Some are preparing more for government failure and stockpiling for the tribulation than they are preparing their hearts for the coming of the Lord.
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Being Ready For The Lord’s Return.
Getting Past Grudges And Hurts Is Up To You.
James 5:9 Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.
- How long will you let this battle go one?
- You hold the key to the door of Peace.
- If you don’t forgive others, God won’t forgive you.
- It’s your call.
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Forgiving Others.
Restoration Is Your Duty.
Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
- Don’t be foolish and act too holy to love and restore the fallen.
- Restoration is your duty.
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Restoration
Worship Is Your Job
Psalms 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.
- Worship Is Everybody’s Business
- How can anyone be so spiritual clueless as to feel comfortable letting others do the praising for them?
- Don’t let worship leader or praise team do the worshipping for you. It’s your job to praise the Lord.
- Worship is everybody’s business
- Don’t let the same old six or seven lead out in worship. You do it.
- Let everything that has breath… It’s up to you.
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Worship.
You Are A Committee Of One In The Prayer Room.
James 5:16 … The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
- Your prayer is powerful.
- Your prayer can flip the switch the kills the power of the enemy.
- Your prayer is the bottom line of spiritual defense.
- We fight the evil on our knees.
- The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Prayer.
Being A Witness Is Your Job Too.
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
You Are A Committee Of One When It Comes To Soul Winning.
I Am The Church
- I am a Divine experience, built upon a Divine revelation
- I am built upon the Rock. That Rock is Jesus.
- I was born in obscurity, in an upper room.
- I have lived in palaces and poverty
- I am no stranger to the poor. I was raised on the wrong side of the tracks.
Some have called me:
- Saul of Tarsus
- Simon Peter
Of late, you have called me:
- Andrew Urshan
- G.T. Haywood
- Robert Tobin
- Verbal Bean
- Carl Ballestero
- Robert C. Cavaness
- Paul Jordan
- William R. Starr
- Jimmy Davis
- Bill Dross
- Morris E. Golder
I am the church
I was chosen from a life called:
That I should not glory in His presence!
- I am College Students and High School Drop outs,
- Factory workers and Housewives,
- Store owners and clock punchers,
- I am all ages and all sizes,
- I am teens with braces and Grandma’s with canes
- I am Sunday School kids whose parents are still asleep.
- I’ve lived on welfare, stood in soup lines,
- I used to be addicted to drugs, push dope, and belong to a gang.
- I was a streetwalker, alcoholic, liar and thief.
- But now I am washed, Now I am sanctified, Now I am justified, by the blood of Jesus.
I am the church
- I have lived in the “guttermost”, but have been raised to the “uttermost.”
- I have been lifted from the deep miry clay. My feet set upon a solid rock, He has established by goings.
- Angels attend me daily. I am guided by Divine Direction.
- Heaven protects my every move.
- I am an army, I have never lost a battle. I am predestined to win.
- I am victorious.
I have been given authority in His Name, over:
- Every evil spirit
- Every disease known to man
- I have the power of the Name of Jesus at my command.
- I speak unto mountains and they are cast aside, In His name
- I walk by faith and live in the Spirit.
I am the church
Throughout history, I have been:
- Persecuted and Ostracized, I still prevail.
- I’ve been Lied on,
- Talked about
- Laughed at
But Death still can’t stop me.
I shall not be defeated.
By Divine Help,
- There’s no mountain I haven’t climbed,
- No river I haven’t crossed
- No valley too deep.
- There’s no problem too big!
- I have been made to survive and flourish.
I am the church
- I have been hindered, but never stopped.
- Knocked down, but never defeated.
- Cast down, but never destroyed.
- Dictators can’t stop me
- Kings can’t stop me
- Presidents can’t
- Generals with cruel armies can’t
- Even Communism can’t.
- The Iron curtain, Bamboo Curtain, The Berlin wall couldn’t stop me.
Even the gates of hell shall not prevail against me.
- God is with me
- He is on my side.
Why do I not live in fear? I have been given precious promises:
Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
I am predestined.
I am the church.
- I have lived in prisons, in castles, in cities and in desert places,
- I have lived in villages and barrios, in every continent and every nation under heaven.
- I am more colors than the rainbow.
- I speak the languages of many tongues.
- Tongues of men and of angels.
- I entertain no prejudices
- I am one body
I am the church
- I am commissioned to the Great Commission
- I live for the Word.
- I shout Amen,
- I run the aisles
- I dance in the spirit
- I love praise and worship
- I speak with tongues and prophesy.
- I baptize in Jesus Name
- I clap my hands and sing.
- I raise my hands in prayer and worship.
- I leap for joy.
- I exist to given Him praise.
Psa. 150:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.
I will bless the LORD at all times
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.
I am the church
Holiness is my trademark
Worship is my hallmark.
Prayer is my secret.
- I am a tired missionary
- An exhausted parent of small children,
- I am a tear-stained altar worker,
- A tired visitation team
- A Sunday School teacher with children that won’t be quiet
- A Home Bible Study teacher, burning the midnight oil
- I am a weary all-night prayer meeting
- I am an evangelist with a hoarse throat.
- I am an exhausted musician in a lengthy altar service,
- I am a King’s son wearing clothes from Goodwill,
- I know what it’s like to shout my hair down,
- I know what it’s like to get Holy laughter,
- I know what it’s like to shout during the preaching,
- I know what it’s like to travail in the spirit,
- I know what it’s like to make intercession.
- I know what the Pentecostal croup is
- I know what it’s like to see someone go home drunk in the Holy Ghost,
- I know what it’s like to be lost in the Spirit,
- I know where the prayer room is,
I am the church
- I’ve seen lives changed
- Families restored
- Marriages put back together
- Gays and Lesbians delivered
- Bodies healed
- Minds restored
- Drug Addicts delivered
- Smokers set free
- Alcoholics dried out
- Hard hearts softened
- Bitterness erased
- Anger dissipate
- Mistakes forgiven and wrongs righted.
- Unity restored
- All by the Han of God
- Some, in moment’s time
- I am the sole possessor of Truth
- I possess the secret of eternal life and of peace with God
I am the church
- I am preaching that changes that touches the heart
- I am an experience that changes the lives
- I am testimonies that ring that Jerusalem ring
- I am singing, that stirs the soul,
- I am prayers that reach heaven’s throne,
I am the church
- I am faces without make-up
- I am long dresses and uncut hair.
- I am modesty on a pedestal,
- I am virtue and purity on parade with heads held high.
- I am holiness without an apology
- I am dedicated to separation from the world.
- I refused to be influenced by immoral thinking
- I shun immodest apparel
- I hate every false way
- I deplore the works of the flesh
- Carnal thinking is not for me
- I keep myself unspotted from the world.
- I proudly represent the King of Glory
- He is Holy, therefore, I must be holy
- My adornment is spiritual and precious, rather than worldly and cheap.
- My men look like real men
- My women are my glory
- I am not a slave to fashion, but rather a servant of Jesus Christ.
- I am clothed rather in garments of Salvation.
- Immodesty does not become me,
- Impurity has no place in my world,
- I live a separated life.
- I don’t look like Satan’s children, talk like them, neither do I act like them.
- I do not feel comfortable in their environment.
- I hate all the works of the flesh
- I am not comfortable in Satan’s realm
- The world is not my home
- I walk ONLY on the OLD paths.
I am the church
My worship, my music and singing have been copied, mimicked, and duplicated.
But like the magicians, who cast down their rods before Moses, they still didn’t have the message. Moses had the only message of deliverance.
- I alone have the message of deliverance for a lost and dying world.
- I alone have the keys to eternal life.
- I alone have the message that sets men free
- I alone have the truth
- I alone have the revelation of who Jesus is
- I alone am the bride of Christ
- I alone known the truth of being born again of water and spirit
- I alone baptize in the only name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved
- I alone have a world to reach
I am described as:
- Not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing.
- Holy and without blemish.
- As terrible as an army with banners
- The salt of the world
- The light of the world
- A Great House
- The general assembly
- Mount Zion
- The city of the Living God
- The church of the first born
- An heir of righteousness
- A chosen generation
- A royal priesthood
- The Family of God
- The Habitation of God
- The Temple of God
- The Bride of Christ
I AM NOT:
- A social center
- A board run entity or a clever tax shelter
- I am not Political or politically correct
- Or Socially acceptable
- This Secular world was not created with me in mind.
- I don’t fit in to their societies or programs, their sports or their entertainment.
I AM A REDEMPTION CENTER
- A Hospital for the hurting
- An oasis for the weary
- A home for every one.
- Give me your weary, your homeless, your outcast, your oppressed, your needy and your distressed.
I am the church
- I am called to show forth the praises of Him who hath called my out of darkness in to this glorious light
- I am the sole possessor of the name of Jesus in redemption.
- I alone have taken His name.
- I am His bride. I love His Name.
Revival is my heartbeat,
Calvary is my song,
The blood of Jesus is my hope,
The name of Jesus is my love,
Deliverance is my message,
The coming of Jesus is my prayer
I live only to:
- Worship Him
- Witness to others
- Love one another
- Praise His Holy Name
- Pray unto Him
- Help my brother
- Obey His Word and His will
I am sanctified
- Blood washed
- Blood bought
- Spirit filled
- Water baptized in Jesus name
- Tongue talking
- Endued with power from on high
- My name is written in the Lambs book of life
- I am the reason for Bethlehem,
- I am the reason for Calvary
- I am Pentecost in action
- I grow with tears
- I become stronger when I decrease
- I am love with a sword in its hand
- I am a soldier with compassion
- A rich man with no money,
- Royalty with no recognition
- I am an heir with no earthly home.
- I am a burden in shoe leather
- I am joyful when there is repentance
- I celebrate the death and Home-going of my own,
- Knowing that to absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
- But I grieve for all others.
- I have prayed teeming thousands out of sick beds,
- Seen countless others raised up from their death beds,
- Watched blinded eyes open, and seen the lame walk.
- Yet I still reach out to help others who have never heard of Jesus.
- While hope and time remain, I am dedicated to helping others find Christ.
- I live in the Supernatural, I walk in the Spirit, and I enjoy the benefits of eternity right here on earth.
I am the church
- I love the unlovable,
- I reach out to the rejected and outcasts of society while giving hope to the discouraged and depressed.
- I am a refuge in troublesome times.
- I am a comfort from despair, and a shelter in life’s storms.
- I give hope to the hopeless and help o the helpless.
- I minister to the needs of both the body and soul
- I am blessed most, when I am being a blessing.
- I bear my brother’s burdens
- I am an encourager to all
- I am an edifier and a giver of strength
- I point all men to Calvary
- I lead the hungry to Heaven’s banqueting table
- I take no glory for myself
I am recognized by the fruit that I manifest.
- Temperance: against such there is no law.
I am the church
- I am betrothed to the King of Kings,
- To The Lord God Almighty
- The Alpha and Omega
- The Beginning and The End
- The First and The Last
- The Prince of Peace
- The Rose of Sharon
- The Chief Cornerstone
- The Captain of Salvation
- The Desire of All nations
- The Great High Priest
- The Good Shepherd
- The Lamb of God
- The Lord of Glory
- The Most High God
He who is called:
- The mighty God,
- The everlasting Father,
- The Prince of Peace, This is my beloved.
- He is altogether lovely.
- I get excited about the Name of Jesus.
- His Name is above every other.
- I am the apple of His eye.
- I am my beloved’s and He is mine.
- I love the sound of His voice. His words to me are life and strength.
- I delight in them. I am excited when He speaks to me.
- I long for His touch.
- I live to be in His presence.
- I have no other joy.
- For all that thrills my soul is Jesus, He is more than life to me, and the fairest of 10,000 in His blessed face I see.
My days are limited, my time is short.
- I am redeeming the time.
- I am going to be caught away very soon.
- The Lord Jesus is coming to take me to a place He has prepared for me.
I must work while I still have the time.
- My light is lit
- There is oil in my lamp
- It is trimmed and burning
- I am watching and praying
- I am looking for His soon return
- I am on fire with Pentecostal fire
- The vision is great
- The harvest is great
- My garments are without spot or wrinkle
- I am ready for the 1st resurrection
I am the church
- My job is never done, nor my task finished till all have come to the knowledge of the truth.
- My focus must not be upon myself, but upon others.
- I cannot rest while one lost sheep is astray.
- I am called to rescue the perishing
- I am charged the responsibility of lost souls
Heaven is watching
Hell is watching
The world is watching
- I must not falter
- I must not fail
- I must not weaken or tire
- I shall not fail
- I shall be triumphant over all
- I will pray on
- I will sing on
- I will preach on
- I will go on
- I will keep on keeping on
- I will reach out to all that need Him
- I am determined to know nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
- The challenge before me is great, but He is greater.
- I shall be victorious over all, because of Him
- I am triumphant because of Him.
I am Called
I am Chosen
I will be Faithful
I am the church
“Are you in the Church Triumphant?
Are you in the Saviour’s Bride?
Come and be baptized into the body,
And for evermore abide.”
“I’m talking about the church
In the book of Revelation
It’s built on the Rock
Got a firm foundation
It’s been through the storm
It’s been through the fire
And one of these days,
This church is gonna move up higher
It’s the church, triumphant, Oh Lord,
And it’s built by the hand of the Lord.”
Are you in the Church today?
If not, then GET in it.
If you are IN it, then STAY in it
I just finished reading Anthology the biography of Bishop Thomas L. Craft and loved it. I would encourage every one of my readers to do the same.
The Ballestero family has loved and cherished the friendship of Bro. Craft since I was a small child. My father referred to him as his 5th Friend. (It’s in the book.)
Once in a lifetime God may allow you to meet a man like Bishop Thomas L Craft. No one ever met him or heard him and walked away the same. He is truly a Pentecostal treasure and an unchanging landmark on the Gospel Highway.
- What a Burden for souls!
- What a Vision!
- What a Passion!
- What an Accomplishment for the Kingdom!
- What an anointing!
- What a Godly man!
- What a Preacher!
- What a Friend!
It’s a Life Honor to call him Friend!
Click This Picture To Go To His Website.
The Champ was hit hard with a flourish of jabs from the Contender. A quick 1-2 punch to the body with a solid left uppercut staggered him and he fell backwards into the ropes.
He was saved by the sound of the bell and happily retired to his corner. He was tended to by his trainer and cut man. When the bell rang again, the Champ came out of his corner, dancing and doing his best not to let the Contender know that he had been hurt. He was pretending that he was OK.
The Card Player
The card player’s cards are not very good. But he can’t let anyone know that. He has to act like he has the best hand in the game. He bets that he does. The other players study his face and do mental math to see if they think he’s lying.
He knows his hand is bad, but by bluffing, he’s pretending he’s OK.
The Lost Husband
He looks out the window secretly hoping to find a familiar landmark. He may not know where he’s at, but he’s not lost in his own mind. He feels that he can still get you to your destination, even if it takes him an extra hour. His ‘man-hood’ is at stake. He won’t ask for help, he’s pretending he’s still OK.
- You always say, “Fine, thank you.”
- Don’t you?
- You too are pretending you’re OK.
Sinners / Backsliders
They especially pretend that they’re OK. It keeps them from admitting they need help; that they are in need of God. To admit that would be to confess they are wrong. They would have to stop sinning.
If you are not living for God and going to church like you should, then you are just pretending you are OK.
- If you have left the highway of holiness. If you have re-considered all your holiness standards and changed. If you defend your decision to look like the world while still claiming to have the Holy Ghost, then you are just pretending you are OK.
- If you have rejected the life of separation from the world. If you now justify looking and dressing like the rest of the world. If you now claim to have more freedom and to be happier than ever before, then you are just pretending you are OK.
- If you now make fun of holiness minded men and women and mock the way they dress. If you try to act superior in your new revelation and lifestyle. If you have a need to flaunt your disdain of holiness. Then you are just pretending you are OK.
- (No one would even admit to Pretending.)
The hardest thing in the world for some folks is to admit they are wrong.
To admit they’re not OK is to admit they were wrong. They would rather pretend they are OK here on earth and take their chances with God in the Judgment. How insane.
Paul said to Timothy:
2 Tim. 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
- We humans are our own problems (oppose themselves)
- If God peradventure (there’s a chance He will)
- Will give them repentance. (The opportunity to repent is a gift from God)
- To the acknowledging of the truth. (Truth about what? The truth about themselves and the error of their ways)
It’s not God’s will that you have to pretend that you are OK. No one has to pretend when they are obedient to all of His Word. It’s those that are trying to cut corners with God that feel a need to pretend. Admit it!
I Don’t Like Facial Hair On Pentecostal Men!
(But those that know me already knew that.)
Did They Have Facial Hair In Bible Days? Yes.
Look at the sculptures of Roman times. Look again at the statues of the Caesars. They depict Gentile men wearing short hair, and no beards. They were the style leaders of their day. They depicted the dress of their generation. Evidently the world custom at that was not beard wearing for all men, especially not Gentile men.
The wearing of beards was certainly mentioned in the Bible. The case could be made that most of our heroes in the Old Testament wore facial hair.
Did they have facial hair in the early days of Pentecostal outpouring in the 1900’s? Yes. Early Pentecostal pioneers such as Bro. Seymour and Bishop Haywood wore facial hair. We’ve seen the pictures.
However, in early Pentecost, especially in the white churches, there was a marked absence of beards. The beards seemed to disappear.
Many Hispanic and black men feel that wearing a mustache is symbolic of masculinity. So automatically the cultural thing is throw down like an non-debatable subject. Of course that debate ignores the church’s culture.
During the Hippy Generation of the 50’s and 60’s, beards sprouted on those who rebelled against society. It became their symbol. Many of that culture were draft dodgers and some even moved to Canada. A spirit of rebellion and non-conformity was connected to the beard wearing.
New male converts for years have shown visible evidence of their conversion, by shaving off their facial hair when they got into an Apostolic church. The Pentecostal scene was one of clean-shaven men for over 50 years.
Now, after a half a century or so of no facial hair on men in mainstream Pentecost, It has started appearing again. Why? What changed in their minds and why did it change?
Recently, a Pentecostal organization even passed a position paper making it acceptable in their ranks for men to wear facial hair. Was the change made to appease liberals? Was it made to make the church look more like the world? Was it done to win the world? God knows.
Although It was made legally acceptable in some circles, it is still not palatable or acceptable everywhere. Today, facial hair on men is found in pulpits, in choirs, on the platform, in leadership and in the audience.
My Question Is, Why The Facial Hair Comeback?
- Why now?
- What for?
- What is gained in the Spirit by men wearing facial hair?
- How is the church strengthened by that acceptance?
- Do Pentecostal men wear them because it’s popular in the world?
- How does it further our outreach?
- Why did our new converts shave their beards and mustaches off when they got the Holy Ghost?
- Why the long absence of facial hair in conservative Pentecostal Apostolic ranks?
- If it was deemed wrong then, why is it ok now?
- Should we apologize now to all them who shaved their beards off when they got in church, because now it’s ok if you find the ‘right’ church?
If Facial Hair Today Is So Proper, Why Then Does It Cause Men Of Honor To Distance Themselves From All Those Who Permit Such? Why Then Does It Separate Good Men? There’s A Reason!
- What are it’s wearers trying to prove, and to whom?
- Doesn’t it make its wearers look more like what they used to be?
How Does This Help Identify Us As Apostolic?
If We Took A Poll And Asked Pentecostal Men Why They Are Wearing Beards, What Would Be Their Response To:
- Are you going Charismatic? No.
- Are you backslid? No.
- Are you in rebellion to holiness standards? No.
- Are you wearing it because you think it makes you look cool? No.
If you are not wearing it out of compromise, rebellion, or from a backslidden state, and you are wearing it just because you think it looks good on you, then would you say it is pride issue with you?
Does Your Facial Hair Tell Others That You Have A Flaming Pride Issue?
- If you don’t think pride is involved in wearing of facial hair, just try to preach it off of those who have it. Every wearer I’ve met is fiercely defensive.
When Apostolic Pentecostal Churches And Organizations Say It Is Ok To Wear Beards, The Question Soon Arises…
- What do they hope to gain?
- Does that bring revival?
- Is this in anyway related to the same spirit of rebellion of the Hippies?
- What is the purpose?
- In some twisted way does the wearer feel it makes them more like Jesus? How?
- Isn’t pride part of it?
What Other Area Of Their Live Is In Line To Be Changed Next?
Remember The Biblical Statements:
- “It seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to us”
- “Here we have no such custom”
Where Will These Two ‘Facial Hair’ Roads Go? Where Will They Take Us?
Most doubt that the two roads will ever meet again, because at present it appears to old school observers like me, that they are not headed in the same direction. My experience has been that those who re-examine and change their church dress standards, have never grown closer to God and to Holiness, but moved further away.
What scares many men is the question of what is behind this wide sweeping occurrence. Is there a spirit behind the push? Are the changes being made a just tip of the iceberg?
The churches I find myself most comfortable in are those who say
“Here we have no such custom.” By making that statement, Paul pointed out in Scripture that, Godly Custom took precedence.
Wearing facial hair today might be lawful to some, but it has not proven itself to be expedient. It’s been divisive.
(I don’t understand this generation’s interest in tattoos or facial hair. Don’t even get me started on tattoos…)
Thanks, I feel better now! You will too… after you go shave!
What Would Pentecostals Post On Facebook If This Were 70 Years Ago?
First of all, I am not sure how many would have even been on any social media. Some, in the 1940’s, regularly warned of the worldly influence of radio in Christian homes. Television was called a one-eyed monster.
Secondly, the whole world was at war. The saints of old actually believed they were living in the last days and most of them acted accordingly.
Thirdly, many of them had survived the great depression. Most had little money or possessions. Christ and the Church became the center of their lives.
With this in mind allow me to extract comments and excerpts from my family’s letters and wire recordings (Wire recorders preceded Cassette and Tape Recorders.) made during that same time frame.
I am sure they would have made the same type of affectionate greetings to family and friends.
We would have also read:
- Victory reports of revival and new church plantings
- Updates on our children and grand children’s lives
- Recipes and sewing tips
- But most assuredly, there would have been much talk about the coming of the Lord, the end time, Heaven, and the importance of being ready
Here are some comments taken from Carl Ballestero’s (my father) letters to Bro. Harvey Davis during WWII.
1. “I write to you, Harvey, as Jonathan would to David, with nothing but love and honor in my heart for you. I know nothing of your failures, (I have enough of my own, for we all are unprofitable servants), but I looked for Jesus in you, and bless His dear Name, I found Him in you in a very pleasing way. It really isn’t hard to see our Jesus in one another, if we would but look for Him.
2. “As I was sitting at the table thinking of what you said about going all out for Jesus, (you spoke my heart) and it seemed then, how few really want to see things done for God. Most people will go places for God when things are going good and when the message is popular, but only a handful are possessed with the “Jesus passions” for lost souls and genuine red-hot Holy Ghost revival fire to sweep not only their own hearts, but the whole community as well. I pray that God will give us a “go-through” spirit.
3. “May the Lord melt us and take away all bitterness from our hearts, for His Name’s sake.
4. “We’re strangers here, not wanted, not loved by man, we have a Heavenly City, not made with hands, and One ever beckons to the weary, tempted and tried pilgrims to “Come out from among them and be ye separate” for this world is not their home.
5. “Yes, there is hardly a preacher in Pentecost who doesn’t know how far short of the Apostolic power we are. Oh, it is true that we have the Gospel, but then too, “The letter killeth.” It is the Spirit that quickeneth, the flesh profiteth nothing.” It takes more than plain good preaching to get people saved. It takes the signs following you spoke about.
6. “…But then may we now say, not “Where is the God of Elijah,” but “Where is the Elijah of God.”
7. “We, as young ministers could blame the preachers before us for this pitiful state of God’s Body, (and we would not be too far from wrong for they have not been altogether blameless), but we have a wall to build, whether we are the men to do the job or not, I am certain God is pleased that the thought is in our hearts. Let us therefore set our minds to the immense task that lies before us, and consecrate, humble, deny and keep under the Blood every fiber of our being that we might be of a truth, “The apple of God’s eye.” Surely He cannot help but bless that one who has determined to make his time God’s time, who realizes that his members are God’s temple, his very life and breath, a loan from a loving Friend who sticks closer than any brother.
8. “I can truthfully say, that my joy is to do the will of my Father in Heaven, yes, that is also my meat, it sustains me, gives me life, for Jesus is truly the “Bread of Life.”
9. “Let us evermore come to Him that we might have life and that more abundantly. Jesus said, “Ye will not come to Me that ye might have life.” We have life from Him, Brother, but not many have that abundant life, the holy and sanctified breath of God in them that makes giants out of weaklings, that makes heroes out of cowards, that makes intercessors out of sluggards, yea, that makes mighty, prevailing, unconquerable, rugged, self-denying Gospel and Gift entrusted Christian men and women who can move the mountains of sin in the abominable generation of our day.
10.“What then shall we do? Shall we be sorry for our faults, or defeats? No, not sorry, but rather repent. It is harder to get a Pentecostal person to repent than a rank sinner. Yes, repent and launch out into the deep, for surely hell will be full of sorry people.
11.“Most of my time is spent in the study of God’s Word. I now am spending more time in prayer that He first might make it burn in my heart so that I can preach it from the very depths of my soul with His fire and unction. I have a wonderful book entitled “The Preacher and Prayer” by Bounds, and if I can’t find any in the bookstores, I’ll send you mine. Marvelous truth! It will fire your passion for souls and shake you into a prayerful attitude.
12.“My typewriter has been in hock for a few weeks now, so that explains the pen and ink. I pawned it so that I could buy a turkey for New Year’s Day. I am sending you all the money we have, but my Father is rich, and “I shall not want”, for truly, with food and raiment, the love of God in my heart, the hunger for more of Him and for others to know Him is more than I deserve, and if I cannot say like Paul, “I have learned …” I can say “I am learning to be content in whatsoever state I am in.”
13.“Your letter touched my heart, just made me love you so, and cry, so I just had to write you these few lines. (It doesn’t seem many to me, for they flow from my heart.) If I have ever said or done anything to harm or hinder you, please forgive me, as I do want to make Heaven my home. If I have, it was not by choice, from my head, but not my heart.
14.“We send our love to each of you, pray daily for you.
15.“Other than what I’ve mentioned, in these dark and bewildering days, all that we have to look forward to is the coming of Jesus to deliver us from this body of death. The supposedly strong ones among us have forsaken our God and their cross and left the lambs to continue on with faltering step. It seems that those who really desire to pay the price and go through must do so amidst the railings of those who make a mock of sin, who have no confidence in Christianity, (and why should they have?) Yet, still the love and the Spirit of God pulls our feet homeward, saying “This is the way, walk ye in it.”
16.“When I listen to good preachers, I begin to wonder if I’ve missed my calling or not, but when I see the way people are failing God, and faith has vanished; when I see the holy standard of Jesus Christ dragged in the gutter, and a bunch of old reprobates who live in sin, and brag about all their wonderful results, and claim to be the “fathers” of this Jesus Name movement, I take courage and make an attempt at preaching anyway,
17.“Lose your money, lose your reputation, lose your car and all your possessions, but don’t lose your character, don’t lose the anointing of God, don’t lose your soul
18.“There’s no place like the everlasting arms of Jesus when one is burdened, over-weighted with much sorrow, and about ready to abandon ship.
19.“I would rather burn out for God than rust out.
20.“I’m praying for you almost every night without fail. Might have missed you once or twice, but you’re usually upon my heart for your love and fellowship means so much to me.
Bro. Ike Terry’s Comments To My Mother, Connie Ballestero:
- “Sister Connie, I want to share with you a brand new One God Scripture that I found today…”
Various Saints From The Bakersfield Church To My Mother:
- “They carried me home drunk on the Holy Ghost last night.
- “We had an all night prayer meeting.
- “My husband finally got the Holy Ghost during this revival, Hallelujah!
- If any of the old saints had slipped off to a movie, or read a questionable book they would they have posted it or talked about it openly?
- How much Sports talk would have been posted?
- What photos would they post?
- How much flesh would be on display?
- How much would be written about Church, God and Christian living?
There would still have been fun and fellowship on the news feed of the 1940’s FB I’m sure, but I would like to think the Coming of the Lord and the End Time would have never strayed from the main focus.