The Ballestero Blog

"That's what I'm talking about!"

God Will Take Care of You

with 8 comments

God Will Take Care of You

The Don McNeal Breakfast Club was on the air. Mondays through Fridays it could be heard at 10:00am on ABC. I was listening on this particular morning in the Spring of 1965, but I was having a bad day. It was a horrible Monday so far. Nothing had gone right. Little things had gone wrong all morning. There didn’t seem to be any sign of improvement either.

I was 21 years old and had been evangelizing full-time for two years. The freezing cold wind drove the rain almost sideways as I made my way from Texas to Columbia, Mississippi. I was scheduled to preach two weeks for a Bro. Thornton.

The rain was bad enough. To make matters worse, I barely had enough money for gas because they didn’t pay me very much at my last revival.

With only about 40 miles to go, I threw a rod in the 1961 VW Beetle I was driving. I was devastated. I had no money for engine repair. Neither did my Dad. What was I going to do?

It was hard to listen to the patter and laughter on the Breakfast Club with the engine making such a loud racket. I felt sick to my stomach with despair. I babied the car along the best I could at 35 miles an hour.

About that time, the Breakfast Club featured a young lady singing the Hymn of the Day. The song was entitled, “God Will Take Care Of You.”

When she started to sing, I couldn’t drive another hundred yards. I pulled the car over and listened to the words of the song. Tears streamed down my face all the while. God had spoken to my problem right while it was happening!

God Will Take Care of You

By Civilla D. Martin, 1904

1.         Be not dismayed whate’er betide,

God will take care of you;

Beneath his wings of love abide,

God will take care of you.

Refrain:

God will take care of you,

Through every day, o’er all the way;

He will take care of you,

God will take care of you.

2.         Through days of toil when heart doth fail,

God will take care of you;

When dangers fierce your path assail,

God will take care of you.

(Refrain)

3.         All you may need he will provide,

God will take care of you;

Nothing you ask will be denied,

God will take care of you.

(Refrain)

4.         No matter what may be the test,

God will take care of you;

Lean, weary one, upon his breast,

God will take care of you.

(Refrain)

In the middle of what felt like nowhere, God gave me a word of promise from an unlikely source that he would take care of me.

I did make it to Columbia, and I preached the revival meeting for Brother Thornton. I sold the car at an auto auction, and was able to buy another car and continued on.

He’s an on time God!

Yes, God still takes good care of me even now! And He has refresher courses too lest I forget.

Written by Martyn Ballestero

April 23, 2011 at 1:18 am

Posted in Faith

Tagged with

8 Responses

1. My son hurt his knee tonight and as I sat at the table working on a project for the church bulletin board I was worrying that maybe we should have it checked out. That was when a still small voice said,”Pray about it!” I did! Right there and then I asked my God to touch his knee and give me peace. When I read this it touched me to be so poignantly reminded that God WILL take care of you!

Crystal Smith (Morris)

April 23, 2011 at 3:59 am

2. I too remember the Breakfast Club. Can’t imagine most radio personalities of today having a hymn of the day, or even an inspirational thought, but several of those in yesteryear did; like Arthur Godfrey, Red Skelton, Lawrence Welk and others. It was remarkable how those songs and comments were used to brighten a dark day for many a listener. God uses unlikely messengers from time to time. The ONE whose eye is on the sparrow is also watching over me!

Marjorie Kinnee

April 23, 2011 at 10:17 am

3. This is such a comforting post. How many times do we try to do things on our own, and it just doesn’t work out. God has proven to me many times that He will take care of me, thanks for reminding me again what a loving, caring God we serve.

Nila Marxer

April 23, 2011 at 10:40 am

4. When I was a little boy, about 5 years old, following my Mother around, she would be doing what Mothers do in the kitchen. Many times I remember my Sweet Little Mother singing that very song. I can still hear her tiny soft voice, as she sang part of it, and hummed some of it, “God will take care of you.”
    Such memories as that, always gave me such a secure feeling. Thank the Lord, for HER memory. She was a real treasure to me. A Mother, who could pray, and did, every night in our living room. Just Dad, Mom and me having family prayer; Dad would lead off, then Mom, and yes, and at that tender age, they had me to pray also. Things like that, will carry you a long way in life. It was my Mom’s singing those Hymns, and Her praying, which helped me to know how to pray for deliverance, in Okinawa Bay, while under attack by Japanese Zeros and Bombers, that last night of WWII.

I WOULD, THAT I COULD HUG HER SUNDAY NEXT, AND SAY …

H A P P Y M O T H E R S D A Y ! SWEETHEART.

Howard H. Davis

April 23, 2011 at 6:21 pm

• Altho I am very familiar with that story, I still have tears running down my cheeks. HE truly is an “on-time” God! If he can send a raven to feed one servant, he certainly can send a song to encourage another one!!

Carlene Branham

April 23, 2011 at 10:05 pm

5. Praise God He has been doing things like that for a long time. If we wait on Him He sill always come through!

Dr. John Scheel

April 24, 2011 at 10:04 am

6. God always has and he always will. You mentioned that God is an on-time God. He is. It just seems as if He misses a lot of good opportunities:-)

Kevin Archer