The Ballestero Blog

"That's what I'm talking about!"

The Home Missions Director Was Afraid Of Twenty Words

with 11 comments

The Home Missions Director Who Was Afraid Of Twenty Words!

I sat eating supper at the steakhouse with the Home Missions Director and the District Superintendent.

“Brother Ballestero, we have a total of ten Home Missions churches in our state that we want you to preach a week’s revival at, and we will pay you $700 a week. We have visitors and new converts that we don’t want to scare off. So here is a list of twenty words and phrases we don’t want you to say while preaching in these Home Missions Churches.” The Home Missions Director said while handing me a piece of paper.

I scanned down the list…

Adultery
Short skirts
Men’s apparel
Hell
Damnation
Abomination
Trinity

I looked up from the list wanting to see the Superintendent’s reaction. He put his head down and cut another piece of steak. Without a smile or word, I pushed the list back to the Home Missions Director and shook my head from side to side.

The rest of the meal was finished in near silence.

That’s when this scripture came to my mind…

Isa. 30:10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:

Written by Martyn Ballestero

July 12, 2019 at 12:00 pm

11 Responses

1. Wow! Thank you pastor for being steadfast! How can these so called spiritual leaders claim to be genuine PENTECOSTAL, Apostolic, Holiness minded men?
    Keep preaching it straight!

Dennis Morris

July 12, 2019 at 12:36 pm

2. God help Us !!! Let The Preacher preach
    Without fear or favor!!!!!!

Barbara Henson

July 12, 2019 at 12:42 pm

3. It’s been a long, long time since $700 was an acceptable offering for a week (or a weekend) of revival services. I wonder how this district has “progressed” in the meantime.

Johnny King

July 12, 2019 at 1:19 pm

• Sadly, it wasn’t all that long ago. Regardless, I would have accepted the money and preached and ignored the money factor because Home Missions has a soft spot in my heart. (My parents started six churches. My wife and I started one, and three of my children have as well.) I only rejected the offer because of his attempt to control and limit the preached word. God has allowed me to preach over 1,100 revivals, so I have an idea how to reach for a sinner by now.

Martyn Ballestero

July 12, 2019 at 2:07 pm

4. Thank you sir for your stand and commitment to the truth of the Word of God.

Winston C Roach

July 12, 2019 at 1:45 pm

5. Elder, what a shame to attempt to shackle the preacher by some who are supposed to preach the same thing. Thank you for standing for the unadulterated truth.

David Sheppard

July 12, 2019 at 3:54 pm

6. That is near unbelievable and truly sad. Worse is it seems a pretty accurate temperature of modern pentecostalism, just as your father prophesied.

Don and Lori

July 12, 2019 at 7:50 pm

7. Any preacher I have in my pulpit has complete liberty to follow the Holy Ghost. That man wanted a puppet instead of a preacher. Sad.

Peter Connell

July 12, 2019 at 7:59 pm

8. That’s sad.

I read Jeremiah 23 right before I read this post.

unionpentecostalchurch

July 13, 2019 at 5:22 pm

9. Shocking! (II Timothy 4–I am thankful you are not an “itching ears” teacher or preacher! Hallelujah!

Sandra Runkle

July 13, 2019 at 11:43 pm

10. WE love you Elder. You’ve always helped our home missions church (6 years old) and we never told you what to not preach on! Shame on them. Don’t ever stop being Apostolic.

Kelly Holland