The Promises Of The Lord Are Unfailing. A Mini Sermon.
At least seven times Jesus used future perfect tense. Future perfect is more powerful than simple future tense. Future perfect tense means you can take it to the bank, it is going to happen. When Jesus used the word will, He always spoke it in future perfect tense.
- “I Will” Save You.
John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out
- (To Jesus, there is no such thing as a throwaway soul.
- Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.)
- “I Will” Heal You.
Luke 5:12 And it came to pass, when he was in a certain city, behold a man full of leprosy: who seeing Jesus fell on his face, and besought him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
Luke 5:13 And he put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will: be thou clean. And immediately the leprosy departed from him.
- (James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
- James 5:15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him
- Part of His Calvary experience was the receiving of stripes He suffered them for us. He purposely endured the pain for our healing.)
- “I Will” Claim You.
Matt 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
- (Gal 4:5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
- Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
- Gal 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.)
- “I Will” Enable You.
Matt 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
- (If you follow Him, He will make you a soul winner.)
- “I Will” Comfort You.
John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
- (Heb. 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.)
- “I Will” Raise You Up.
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
- (1Thess 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
- 1Thess 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
- 1Thess 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.)
- “I Will” Be With You For Ever
John 17:24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
- (John 14:2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
- John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.)
The Lord’s Promises Are Unfailing!
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Why God Hates Wheelbarrows!
There are some good things that could be said about them. But that still doesn’t change God’s mind. He still hates wheelbarrows. He hates them for a number of reasons, some of which I will tell you.
First of all, He hates wheelbarrows because they all have to be pushed. They won’t do one thing by themselves. They never budge unless made to. They never go forward unless someone wears their self out pushing them. Then, just as soon as the pusher stops, the wheelbarrow stops too.
Second, He hates wheelbarrows because they are prone to become “lopsided” very easily which demands an additional effort to correct.
Some of us are like spiritual wheelbarrows. We’ll carry the load, but we have to be pushed. We only respond to pressure. And even then, we’re likely to get lopsided. God wants us to love Him, serve Him from our heart, without the use of force or coercion.
But Most Of Us Have To Be Pushed
- We have to be pushed to worship.
- We have to be pushed to find the prayer room.
- We have to be pushed to live right.
- We have to be pushed to dress right.
- We have to be pushed to win the lost.
- We have to be pushed to testify.
- We have to be pushed to trust God.
- We have to be pushed to do His Will.
- We have to be pushed to give Him His tenth.
- We have to be pushed to give to Missions.
- We have to be pushed to forgive.
- We have to be pushed to be faithful to church.
- We have to be pushed to give.
- We have to be pushed to read the Bible.
- We have to be pushed to make progress at all.
- We have to be pushed in just about everything.
God Hates Wheelbarrow Christianity.
- He hates what we’ve done to ourselves.
- He hates what we’re doing to His church.
- He hates what we’re doing to the ministry.
- He hates the fact that our spirit is contagious.
- He hates the fact that we can’t seem to ‘have church’ without the preacher pushing us.
- He hates the fact we don’t love Him enough to progress on our own.
Do You Know What We Need? We Simply Need A Good Old-Fashioned Case Of “I Want To!”
- I want to live for God!
- I want to be an over-comer!
- I want to have to victory!
- I want to worship!
- I want to pray!
- I want to live holy!
- I want to have revival!
- I want to be a blessing!
- I want to be faithful!
- I want to give!
- I want to say Amen!
- I want to obey the Word of God!
God Hates Wheelbarrows.
- I hope you hate them too.
- I hope you hate them enough that you refuse to be one.
- I hope you hate them enough that you will refuse to wait until you are pushed before making progress in God.
Matt. 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Deut. 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Deut. 11:1 Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway.
God Thinks It’s A Heart Issue.
- Those Who Must Be Pushed Must Not Have A Real Desire For God In Their Heart.
Do You Have To Be Pushed?
If So, What Does God Think About You?
Puzzle Prayer Time
The beautiful white-haired grandma sat silently beside me as our car rolled down the Interstate. Marcia Starr Ballestero, my devoted wife of fifty years, was letting her thoughts and heart focus on the needs of a family member.
She was going through her camera roll and albums looking for a specific photo. That’s her pattern. Today she chose one of our children and their spouse. Some times she chooses a picture of just one person, other times it may be a couple or even their whole family. Once in a while she chooses a picture of us.
The selected photo is then imported into her jigsaw puzzle app. Her gentle fingers begin to move over the hundreds of pieces. She moves them here and there trying to make them fit where she thinks they should go.
Her puzzles may last an hour or two, sometimes longer. The attraction she has for puzzles isn’t so much her love for games, but it actually is part of her family prayer time.
As she moves each piece of the puzzle into place, she is praying silently. She is praying for every aspect of their life. She prays for their soul, their marriage, their health, their finances and their home.
I do my best not to interrupt her puzzle prayer time. She methodically attempts to make pieces fit in place. Often she gets it right the first time. Other times not. When it becomes a trial and error project, it is like real-life to her. Her prayer focus is on the missing pieces in that person’s picture. Loving fingers slide over the face, sometimes the heart and then lingers a moment.
- I wonder, is she praying for their heart?
- Is she praying for them to make right decisions?
- Is she praying for God to keep them safe?
- I never ask.
When she is finished, she will hold the photo up for me to see. When I compliment her on the beautiful picture, she smiles. I know that there was a lot of love and prayer put into that puzzle. How much? Only God and her know.
No one else in our family knows about this. Our children and grandchildren do not even know. But heaven knows that there is a loving Mother and Grandmother who is trying to make the pictures of her family turn out right by asking for God’s help to find the missing pieces and put them in the right place.
“They Don’t Make ‘Em Like They Used Too!”
My Daddy would say that to me with a big grin on his face when as a boy, I was unable to open a jar lid that was too tight for me or when I tried to lift something too heavy and couldn’t. We would both chuckle.
Maybe Grandpa said that to my Daddy when he was a boy too. I said it to my sons and maybe they’ve said to their sons as well.
I was blessed to have lived and enjoyed church worship in simpler and more basic times. The worship in church was directly affected, no doubt, by the tough times we all experienced.
Many songs and choruses were written about heaven and sung by those who lived during the depression and hard times. But what strikes my heart today is the lack of certain types of songs being written and sung in our churches today.
Old saints can remember songs like:
“Is Your All on the Altar?”
By Elisha A. Hoffman – 1900
- You have longed for sweet peace,
And for faith to increase,
And have earnestly, fervently prayed;
But you cannot have rest,
Or be perfectly blest,
Until all on the altar is laid.
Is your all on the altar of sacrifice laid?
Your heart does the Spirit control?
You can only be blest,
And have peace and sweet rest,
As you yield Him your body and soul.
- Would you walk with the Lord,
In the light of His word,
And have peace and contentment alway?
You must do His sweet will,
To be free from all ill,
On the altar your all you must lay.
- Oh, we never can know
What the Lord will bestow
Of the blessings for which we have prayed,
Till our body and soul
He doth fully control,
And our all on the altar is laid.
- Who can tell all the love
He will send from above,
And how happy our hearts will be made;
Of the fellowship sweet
We shall share at His feet,
When our all on the altar is laid.
Remember this one too?
“I Surrender All”
By Judson W. Van DeVenter – 1896
- All to Jesus I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.
- All to Jesus I surrender;
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
- All to Jesus I surrender;
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
- All to Jesus I surrender;
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
- All to Jesus I surrender;
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory, to His Name!
Both of these precious old songs were written many years before my parents were even born.
- Why is there a shortage and scarcity of heart searching and consecration type songs?
- Why does it seem like everyone has stopped writing and singing songs of surrender and submission?
- It simply bothers me.
Yes, we are to sing a new song. I agree. I will sing and worship along with you. But at the same time, I ask, why throw all the consecration songs like those of yesterday away? Is there no longer a need? Have we arrived? Is there not a cause or a concern? Am I alone on this?
I looked online and found this site that shows about 49 songs of heart examination (most of which I’ve never heard sung.) What is very noticeable and glaring to me is the fact that almost every song was written more than a hundred years ago.
Then it seems like every gospel song writer up and quit. Is there no longer a need for consecration in our singing or in surrendering to His Will? About a good as most of us get to hear lately is something like:
“Yes, Lord, Yes”
I’ll say yes, Lord, yes
To your will and to your way
I’ll say yes, Lord, yes
I will trust you and obey
When your Spirit speaks to me
With my whole heart I’ll agree
And my answer will be yes, Lord, yes
But truly we don’t have much to show in the last one hundred years that expresses to God our heart’s surrender. I know that to a younger generation that I am an old man blowing off steam. I will not even defend myself on that point.
I just happen to like and appreciate what those old songs did to my heart and how that in singing them they shaped my thinking and my mindset. I want my grandchildren to have the same experience in God.
They Really Don’t Make Them Like They Use To.
Come on songwriters and singers. Write us some songs that make us want to consecrate. Songs that make our hearts cry. Songs that are what God wants to hear not just what we like to shout to.
Today while looking through some old papers, I found a tattered sheet of old paper with a poem written in my Father’s handwriting. Tears came to my eyes as I read the words and felt the meaning and the understanding of why my Father felt that this poem was important enough to him to hand copy it.
Written on the backside were some notes to a sermon he preached called Aids To Navigation. I researched online and found the title of this poem written by Joseph Addison Richards. As for me, I need not say anymore.
Yours or His?
I owned a little boat a while ago
And sailed a Morning Sea without a fear,
And whither any breeze might fairly blow
I’d steer the little craft afar or near
Mine was the boat, and mine the air,
And mine the sea; not mine, a care.
My boat became my place of nightly toil.
I sailed at sunset to the fishing ground.
At morn the boat was freighted with the spoil
that my all-conquering work and skill had found.
Mine was the boat, and mine the net,
And mine the sill, and power to get.
One day there passed along the silent shore,
While I my net was casting in the sea,
A man, who spoke as never man before;
I followed Him–new life begun in me.
Mine was the boat, but His the voice,
And His the call; yet mine, the choice.
Ah, ’twas a fearful night out on the lake,
And all my skill availed not a the helm,
Till Him asleep I waken, crying “Take,
take Thou command, lest waters overwhelm!”
His was the boat, and His the Sea,
And His the Peace o’er all and me.
Once from His boat He taught the curious throng,
then bade me let down nets out in the sea;
I murmured, but obeyed, nor was it long
Before the catch amazed and humbled me.
His was the boat, and His the skill,
And His the catch–and His, my will.
Joseph Addison Richards
At The Name Of Jesus Every Knee Will Bow
Philippians 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Philippians 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
When we bow before an earthly Monarch, like a King or a Queen, we do it because we are showing submission and honor to their authority and position. The one we bow before may not truly know if we are bowing out of politeness, or out of submission. They may never know if they are actually loved or respected by the one bowing before them. No words are actually required from the mouth of the one bending the knee.
But upon a prophesied date, not only will we all bow before Him, but also with our mouth every one of us will confess and acknowledge that He, Jesus, is the Almighty God.
- Whether those of us who bow before Him go to heaven or hell afterwards or not, we all will most assuredly bow before him!
- It would be horrible to bow in submission before him, confess and understand who He really is, and then still be lost forever.
Why Not Bow Your Knee Before Him Today?
Every One Of Us Will Bow Our Knees Before Him Sooner Or Later.
It Might As Well Be Today!
Isaiah Prophesied That We Would All Bow.
Isaiah 45:20 Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save.
Isaiah 45:21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
Isaiah 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
Isaiah 45:23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
Isaiah 45:24 Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.
Recapping What Isaiah Said… “There Is No God But Me”
- “Man made idols and gods cannot save anyone.”
- “There is no God beside Me.”
- “I’m a just God”
- “I am a Savior”
- “There is no other God but Me.”
- “Every knee shall bow before Me.”
- “Every tongue shall confess to Me.”
- “All that have fought against Me shall be ashamed.”
Yet, Jesus Proclaimed That He Was God.
- John 10:30 I and my Father are one.
- John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
- Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
- John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
The Bible Says God Is The Only Savior
- Isa 45:21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
The Bible Says Jesus Is The Savior (They are both one and the same.)
- Luke 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
- Matt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
- Matt 1:22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
- Matt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
The Bible Says God Is The Creator
- Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
The Bible Says Jesus Is The Creator
- John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
- Col 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
- Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
- Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
The Question Was Asked Of Jesus:
Where Is Thy Father?
- John 8:19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father?
- John 8:19 …Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.
- John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
Every Knee Shall Bow On That Day
- Every believer shall bow.
- Every unbeliever shall bow.
- Every Trinitarian shall bow.
- Every atheist shall bow.
- People of every Nation shall bow.
- People of every Culture shall bow.
- People of every Religion shall bow.
- People of every Tribe shall bow.
- Every Holy Ghost filled believer shall bow.
- Every one without the Holy Ghost shall bow.
- Every one baptized in Jesus name shall bow.
- Everyone who refused to be baptized in His name shall bow.
- Every liar shall bow.
- Every thief shall bow.
- Every Adulterer shall bow.
- Every fornicator shall bow.
- Every drunk shall bow.
- Every drug addict shall bow.
- Every murderer shall bow.
- Every pervert shall bow.
- Every lesbian shall bow.
- Every homosexual shall bow.
- Every transsexual shall bow.
- Every bi-sexual shall bow.
- Every Dictator shall bow.
- Every King shall bow.
- Every Queen shall bow.
- Every President shall bow.
- Every General shall bow.
- Every Officer shall bow.
- Every Soldier shall bow.
- Every Sailor shall bow.
- Every palm reader shall bow.
- Every medium shall bow.
- Every witch doctor shall bow.
- Every demon-possessed person shall bow.
- Every cult leader shall bow.
- Every church leader shall bow.
- Every Sunday School teacher shall bow.
- Every prophet shall bow.
- Every Amish person shall bow.
- Every Mennonite shall bow.
- Every Lutheran shall bow.
- Every Scientologist shall bow.
- Every Muslim shall bow.
- Every Buddhist shall bow.
- Every Hindu shall bow.
- Every Jew shall bow.
- Every Catholic shall bow.
- Every Baptist shall bow.
- Every Methodist shall bow.
- Every Church of Christ shall bow.
- Every Jehovah’s Witness shall bow.
- Every Mormon shall bow.
- Every Seventh Day Adventist shall bow.
- Every Pentecostal shall bow.
- Every professor shall bow.
- Every teacher of evolution shall bow.
- Every agnostic shall bow.
- Every heretic shall bow.
- Every proud person shall bow.
- Every disrespectful person shall bow.
- Every God hater shall bow.
- Every hater of the name of Jesus shall bow.
- You will bow!
- I will bow!
The Whole World Will Realize Too Late That He Truly Is:
- The Almighty God.
- The Everlasting Father.
- The Great I Am.
- Alpha And Omega.
- The First And The Last.
- The Beginning And The Ending.
- The Savior Of The World.
- The Jehovah of The Old Testament Wrapped In Flesh.
All Pride Will Disappear On That Day.
- Great reverence and awe will prevail.
- Remorse for sin and unbelief will overwhelm every sinner.
- Shame because of their sins will make men and women fall to their knees.
But, For Most Of Them Will Be Too Little Too Late.
- Actually, today is the day of Salvation.
- Now is the accepted time to become humble and repent.
The Lost Will Realize Too Late That He Is:
- More Than A Prophet, He Is The WORD Made Flesh.
- More Than A King, He Is The King Of Kings.
- More Than A Priest, He Is The Great High Priest.
They Will Realize Then, That He Is Not:
- Just A Good Prophet
- Just A Teacher
- Just A Carpenter’s Son
There Are Multitudes Who Will Not Confess, Admit Or Declare Today That Jesus Is The Almighty God.
But They Will Bow Their Knees On That Appointed Day And Confess It Then.
- They will understand for the first time that he is not the blessed second person of a holy trinity.
- They will awaken to the truth that they have been lied to through the centuries by proclaimers of false doctrines.
- They will know that the word they used for cursing was the name of the one they must now bow before.
Jesus Asked Peter Whom People Thought He Was.
Matt 16:13 … Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Matt 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Matt 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Matt 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Matt 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
The Apostle John Described Jesus Like This:
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
The Apostle Paul Quoted Isaiah
Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
- Everyone will be required to repent, confess his or her sins and failures.
The Four And Twenty Elders Will Bow Down And Cast Their Crowns Before Him.
Rev 4:10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
We Will All Confess On That Day That He Is God.
Those who are willing to confess that Jesus is in fact God and His Name is the only name that will take away all sin, and are baptized in Jesus name just like Jesus told His disciples.
Those Who Are Baptized In Jesus Name Are The Only Ones Who Truly Believe That Jesus Is The Lord God!
This Is What Jesus Said To His Disciples Before He Departed:
Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
Luke 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
Luke 24:48 And ye are witnesses of these things.
Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
Peter Repeated The Words of Jesus To Those Who Wanted To Be Saved.
Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Here Is The Crux Of The Matter
They who have been baptized in Jesus name (It’s the only way the disciples ever baptized) are acknowledging and confessing that Jesus Christ is God.
When they are baptized in Jesus name, the gift of the Holy Ghost will be given to them and they will speak in tongues just like everyone in the upper room did on the day of Pentecost.
Every Knee Will Bow.
- Take My Advice And Join Me In Bowing Down To Him Now.
- You Will Never Be Sorry. Not Now, Not Then.
How Utterly Foolish To Know Such A Day Is Coming And Not Do Now What You Know You Need To Do!
It Will Be Too Late If You Wait Until That Day To Bow Before Him Without Repenting And Believing That Jesus Is The Mighty God!
“If There’s Anything I Can’t Stand, It’s Trashy Gumbo!”
I love pretty much everything about the South. I’m neither a Southerner nor a Cajun Chef, but I do have taste buds that seldom lie. Before I married at the age of twenty-one, I’d already lived in twenty-two houses and attended twenty-six schools. So, I’ve gotten to see all of America growing up. It feels like I’ve lived everywhere, but most of my life has been spent in Indiana, so that feels most like home. It certainly is a non-gumbo state.
Since the beginning of my ministry, I have preached mainly in the South. Everyone there considers me a Yankee, even though I am a Westerner by birth. That being said, since I know I how to say, ya’ll and you guys, I somehow must be bi-lingual.
For the benefit of my non-southern friends, the folks down in Cajun Country are very particular about their Gumbo. They don’t freely call someone’s chicken and sausage soup, a Gumbo. Family recipes are treasured and protected. The Seafood Restaurants that serve great Gumbo will always have full parking lots.
I’ve eaten Gumbo with light rue, dark rue, and very dark rue. There are some Gumbos so thin that one could almost read a newspaper at the bottom of the bowl. I even eat my Gumbo with a scoop of hot potato salad and a boiled egg in it. My family really loves good Gumbo. Our cupboard always has some Tony’s, Cajun hot sauce and Creole seasoning in it too.
I have often been treated to what in my mind is the World’s finest Gumbo. But I didn’t start out eating good Gumbo. I preached a revival in rural Louisiana in the early sixties and the poor pastor and his wife made me my first taste of what they said was Gumbo. I ate it, not knowing if it was good or bad.
My teaching at home was to eat what was set before me, so I did. They told me after the dishes were done that it was ‘possum gumbo. My stomach had a board meeting that night to decide whether to keep the possum down or let it go free. It stayed, much to my disappointment.
Catching Southerners in candid moments when they are talking about someone else’s cooking is always memorable. I recently heard a dear southern friend confide to me, “If there’s anything I can’t stand, it’s trashy gumbo.” They really meant it too.
I’ve eaten ‘good Yankee Gumbo’ and good ‘Cajun Gumbo’ and I love it when I can get it. I’ve eaten stuff passed off as Gumbo and felt the need to pray for strength to get it all down. If gumbo tastes trashy, I may not even get through the first bowl.
Trashy Gumbo? Well, yes! You see, all the cooks have at their disposal the right ingredients, but the way bad cooks put it all together leaves a horrible distaste in the mouth of those who know the difference between good gumbo and trashy.
- No table guest in the South is prepared to suck his or her gumbo up through a straw because it got watered down so much in the kitchen.
- There’s some cooks make Gumbo so hot that no one can eat it without getting heartburn.
- Others use meat so sparingly you wonder why they even bothered.
- Then there’s some Gumbo that make’s me wonder if my old possum had any kin folks that made it over into my Gumbo again.
When It Comes To Doctrine And The Important Things Of God, Apostolic Preachers Have The Right Ingredients.
If There’s Anything I Can’t Stand, It’s Trashy Gumbo.
Brother Ballestero, Are You Talking Gumbo Or Church?
I’m Talking Mainly About Church.
Some folks may feel like they are actually being fed when they hear a watered down message, or one with no meat, no doctrine or substance. Then there are some that love it so hot that everyone gets burnt.
But, I still love it when the preacher gets up to preach and pulls out the old Apostolic Family Recipe and feeds the flock as though it was the Lord Himself who prepared the meal. It ‘s always nourishing and tastes just right!
My advice for today is:
Boycott Trashy Gumbo!
1,000,000 Visitors To The Ballestero Blog!
I extend humble and grateful thanks to all of you for your readership. I am amazed that 364,536 readers from 194 countries (every country in the world, except one) have visited my blog.
My dear sister, Nila Marxer has been my tireless proofreader and editor. I will be forever indebted to her. Thank you, my dear!
As some of you might guess, these Blogs have generated much interest:
- I Don’t Like Facial Hair On Pentecostal Men
- They’re Everywhere (Knees showing in church)
- Why My English Teacher Wanted To Be Baptized In Jesus Name
- The Pentecostals At The Church Of Christ Funeral
I am personally criticized, cursed and trashed almost daily, mainly by worldly seeking Pentecostals who have forsaken the old paths. No matter what their criticism is of the holiness lifestyle, I refuse to change.
I remain as committed as ever to the Apostolic Doctrine.
- Loving the Acts 2:38 plan of Salvation,
- Seeking to live holy in an unholy world.
- Loving the old paths.
- Attempting to encourage and uplift the body of Christ.
- Reaching for every lost soul I can.
Thank You Again!
Yours In His Service,
Martyn J. Ballestero Sr.